Thursday 20 September 2012

Of Mice and Men: Continued

          Slim and George sat down at the bar. Slim put a hand on George's shoulder and stated, "Like I said, George, sometimes a guy's gotta."
          "I knew I had to do it. I tried to fight it tooth and nail, but in the back a my mind, I knew it needed to be done. I was shaking in my boots and almost got cold feet, but I did it anyways." George put his empty glass down on the polished counter.
          "What's done is done, George. You tried your best. I think it's time that the both of us turn over a new leaf. Why not do it together?" George's eyebrows wrinkled in confusion.
          "What on earth do you mean, Slim? I don't have anywhere to go and not a cent to my name." Optimism flowed from Slim's reply, but he spoke gently as not to startle George.
          "Listen here, George. Your past with Lennie, that's just water under the bridge. You and me, we already have the tools of the trade. We work for a year, scrape up a little pocket change, and we could be running our own ranch. At this point, either you sink or you swim. I'll help you swim George. We'll just start by keeping our heads above water, laying low at the ranch for a little while. Don't even worry about Curley either, he doesn't have a bone to pick with you now that the big guy's gone. If he even tries to pick a fight, he's in hot water because I won't stand for it anymore. All bets are off in that case. We'll just pack our things and go after I show him a thing or two. We can find somewhere else to work. Just a small stake and we can be running our own ranch. I heard the land's dirt cheap up in Oregon! We may have to work our fingers to the bone, but it'll be worth it. No one else calling the shots, it's about time that it's our turn. There's no time like the present. So how about it, George?"

No comments:

Post a Comment